Heartfelt gratitude – Ihor Buiukli

Ihor Buiukli

Paramedic of the Odesa City Council Regional Center for Emergency Medical Aid and Disaster Medicine in Serhiivka

Everyone panicked and screamed for medical aid. Still, according to the triage rules, we should move patients with severe injuries first, then the ones with moderate trauma, and only then - the mildly injured. I examined and handed over about 20 victims to the ambulance crews and transported the last remaining woman in severe condition in my car.

She was cut all over with glass shards and had splinters in her wounds. I could not leave her there.

"We are under shelling," we heard about the first explosion from the dispatcher. About 30 seconds later, the second explosion came, and after another 10 - the third one. We immediately had to respond to the call to the shelling site, and we departed. Serhiivka was all up in smoke; we couldn't see anything.

The victims from the houses hit by the rocket were transported to our hospital.

They had shrapnel wounds, cuts, and craniocerebral injuries. When other medical teams arrived, I began to coordinate them. I examined and triaged the wounded into three groups: severe, moderate, and the ones who, unfortunately, no longer needed help. I told the teams who to transport. A separate car was set aside for the severely injured, and the mildly wounded were transported in groups of three or four.

The emergency medical teams worked excellently. Everyone arrived immediately, and everyone knew their job. They approached me and asked who to take first, loaded the injured into ambulances and took them to hospitals. It went like clockwork.

The last remaining wounded was a woman with a closed craniocerebral injury, concussion and lacerations.

I decided to transport her to the hospital myself. She was the only one left there. On the way, I administered an IV and put her on a drip. She had wounds on her neck and upper and lower limbs. Glass was visible in the wounds on her chest. We were not going to pull those out; we had to do it already in the hospital.

Two days later, I visited her when she was being bandaged. I asked the nurse's post how she was. They told me that her state was moderate but stable and improving.

One of the terrifying moments of that day was when I found my friend among the victims.

He was in a grave state. Cut and lacerated wound of the neck, penetrating lacerated wound of the abdominal cavity. I managed to bring him to his senses and only asked where his wife and children were. These are my very close acquaintances. It wasn't easy, but I did everything as I should have, without thinking. We provided help like we were supposed to, unwittingly. In cases like this, doctors put their emotions aside. Fortunately, his family survived.

He spent three days in intensive care. But then he regained consciousness, became stable, and was transferred to the surgical ward. Fortunately, his wife suffered only minor injuries, and the children were not harmed at all, although they were on the upper floor. They were fortunate.